Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Not Even Fair - Rally to the Cause

I am an even person. I was born on an even day, in an even month, in an even year. I am always far happier when my birthday rolls around and takes me to an even age. Odd ages never sound good. 55 sounds old, grey and dull. 56 sounds energetic and full of possibilities. I like even numbers. They are trustworthy, likable, balanced. I live in an even numbered house. Life is good ..... but is it fair?


This evening has been a busy one because it is an even day. I am only allowed to give my parched garden a good watering every second day, on even days of the month. The poor people with odd letter box numbers get the same chance on the odd days. This sounds like a perfectly fair system, taking turn and turn about. A fair system, that is, until the end of the month. Those odd sorts got to water well on Sunday, 31st January and then again on Monday, 1st February! Two consecutive days while my garden stood wilting. I felt irked at the time, but consoled myself that the next time the injustice would occur would be in March when the very worst of summer drought conditions would have passed. But then tonight I recalled that this is a leap year ....




... and we are getting an extra day in February and those jolly oddballs are going to get to double dip again at the February/March changeover. This is not fair! I propose a simple solution - odd numbered letterboxes have odd numbered days, even numbered letterboxes have even numbered days - and here is the trick - then everyone gets the 31st of any month, and once every fourth year the 29th of February, too. Simple solution. Ring your local body politicians, rally the troops, be a part of the change for letterbox parity.

6 comments:

  1. My sympathies are with you. I'm an even person too. It might be because I was born on 20/8/52.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes .... You have always seemed like a well rounded, right thinking individual ... Nice and on an even keel!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I can see Richard as well rounded. Using your maritime theme he's kind of like an old galleon.
      I was born on an even date too - 8/8/1952 - year of the dragon.

      Delete
  2. All your blog posts show your balanced, even view of reality. There's definitely something unsettling about odd numbers. Is Willow loving having her Dad back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love irony.

    Anyway, yes my beloved Willow is enjoying the attention.
    She has been well looked after the last 2 and a half years (I wouldn't have left her if that wasn't the case).
    I took her to the vet for a check- up when I returned and she's generally ok for an old lady (16 years) but has a heart murmur that worries me. Still, that's life and at least I'm here with her. She's looking good and happy though and is also enjoying Lynn's attention when she arrived back yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an odds person (as well as being an odd person). I don't like even numbers and was born on an odd day in an odd year.

    ReplyDelete